Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Groupthink - the final frontier?

Where do you go when you have a question? Probably Google right?

What if it's a complex question - well maybe Wikipedia?

What if it's a question you want a hilarious answer to? How about Urban Dictionary?

Well here is what Urban Dictionary's most popular entry was for HR:

The department within a business responsible for the progression of the company through people management. Usually hated by employees at lower levels due to managers passing on their dirty work i.e disciplinaries, firing and redundancies.

Manager to employee:
Don't worry Jack, I'm the best manager in the world and I'll make sure you won't lose your job.


Manager to Human Resources Rep:
This Jack guy is a liabilaty. I need to get rid of him, will you dismiss him for me.


Jack to his friends:
My manager was great. He did everything he could to save my job but HR fired me. F***ing pricks!

Agree? Disagree?

What all of these resources have in common is the concept of 'groupthink'.

Increasingly, students are asked to work in teams on projects and assignments - this of course continues into the workplace.

Does no one want to be a decision-maker anymore? Are we becoming democratic?

Do you think this movement towards more teamwork and less individual decision-making is good or bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment